I’ve been thinking about friends who want a very limited federal government that gets out of their personal lives, and I have some suggestions.
First, very few want to get rid of Social Security but it needs more financial support, so I suggest eliminating the current $106,800 limit to income subject to FICA taxes. But that would accomplish nothing to limit government and get it out of personal lives. So let’s go forth.
- Eliminate Medicare and Medicaid altogether
- Eliminate all federal regulation of food processing and distribution
- Eliminate all federal regulation of pharmacology
- Eliminate all agriculture support programs and payments
- Eliminate all scientific and cultural support programs
- Privatize crop insurance
- Privatize air traffic control and eliminate all airport and rural air service subsidies and grants
- Eliminate federal gas taxes and return all road and highway responsibilities to the states
- Eliminate all consumer protection and transportation safety programs
- Eliminate environmental protection agencies
- Eliminate OSHA
- Auction off national parks to the states or reliable theme park companies
- Eliminate national forests and the BLM. Auction off the land
- Eliminate the SEC
- Contract with Morgan-Chase to assume basic Federal Reserve functions
- Eliminate the Department of Commerce and all of it’s programs
- Eliminate all programs of the Corps of Engineers not directly related to combat missions of the Army
- Eliminate NASA
I realize that this is not nearly enough, but it’s a reasonable start.